The RNIB is marking World Book Day by launching a campaign to give every child and young person a book of their own free of charge and making 13 titles available in audio and braille.
Organised by UNESCO, World Book Day is marked in more than 100 countries around the world, with 2021 being the 24th year of celebrations.
Organisers say World Book Day is all about celebrating the magic of books and reading. They are encouraging parents, children and young people of all ages to spend at least 10 minutes a day sharing a book together and celebrate reading for pleasure, helping to promote wellbeing for everyone.
They make the point that reading can open up a world of possibilities and enhance the imagination, making it so important for every child and adult to be able to enjoy the books of their choice.
The RNIB is making 13 titles available in audio (DAISY CD) and braille and is taking orders until Wednesday 31 March. To place an order call the RNIB helpline on 0303 123 9999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Titles are also available in large print (English) or giant print (Welsh). To order the English-language titles in large print, contact Guide Dogs by calling 0118 9838275. The Welsh-language edition can be ordered in giant print by contacting the RNIB Helpline.
The titles available as part of the giveaway are listed below.
- There’s a Wolf in Your Bookby Tom Fletcher
- What the Ladybird Heard (Playscript)by Julia Donaldson
- Gigantosaurus: Dino-Spotby Jonny Duddle
- Luna Loves World Book Dayby Joseph Coehlo
- Protect the Planetby Jess French
- Football Schoolby Alexander Bellos and Ben Lyttleton
- Planet Omar: Operation Kindby Zanib Mian
- The River Whaleby Sita Brahmachari
- Skysteppersby Katherine Rundell
- Little Badman and the Radioactive Samosaby Humza Arshad and Henry White
- Skulduggery Pleasant: Apocalypse Kingsby Derek Landy
- Killjoyby Holly Jackson
- Ha Cnecby Huw Aaron